The beginning of a series of paintings of things in the crate.
I found this old Inglenook wine jug in the back room of my dad’s shop and he let me take it home to add to my collection of things to paint. I liked the green color and it had a nice shape. It sat around for a while and finally inspired me to paint it. Unsure of what to do for the background, (and after trying several different things) I finally decided on a little wooden crate I had. I put the jug inside, played with the lighting and here you have it — the beginning of a series of paintings of things in the crate. I didn’t really know it was going to be a series, but as soon as this one was done I realized I had other things that wanted to go in the crate to be painted, and so it began…
This is a still life set up I did one winter evening. The background image it a bottle of rum that has a unique wicker wrap. Then we have the small foot stool, a couple sprigs from a Douglas Fir Tree and the bottle of Tobasco.
This is somewhat of a different painting for me because the oil paint was applied very thin so there isn’t much surface tuxture.
The tulips only last so long. Get ’em while ya can!
Spring of 2010 I saw this out in the front yard. The grass was long and the tulips were poking through; how cool! The old cans were close, but I think I moved them around a little bit to find the right composition. This little painting was a bit of a struggle, but I think I captured the light just right.
Looking for something to paint I noticed this little scene on a shelf of knickknacks.
Looking for something to paint, I noticed this little scene on a shelf of knickknacks. I set up my easel and here ya go. The car is a little hot wheel and the bottles are those shot size bottles a person finds in hotel rooms. Along with this, I noticed about a half dozen other scenes that need to be painted. Let’s go!
This is an old Myers barn pulley I picked up from my mother-in-law’s place. I had it in with some landscaping outside and brought it in to add to the November Gifts painting. After that I decided to try and paint it by itself. It was quite a challenge getting all the angles in there.